An Unparalleled Art ResidencyWelcome to the great outdoors for a watercolour painting residency immersed in the beautiful landscape of Grand Champagne de Cognac.
About the ResidencyDuring this residency, participants will develop their observational and painting skills and explore their unique artistic voice under the guidance of professional artist Michelle Boyle. The time together will be both a learning and enjoyable experience through hands on practice, demonstrations and shared knowledge which participants will carry into the future.
Beginners and more advanced artists are welcome. As numbers are small, individual attention is assured.
Paintings © Michelle Boyle
About the ArtistMichelle Boyle is an award winning watercolour painter with a studio base in rural Ireland and developing base in India. She delivers painting workshops in Ireland and abroad most recently with the National Gallery of Ireland for the 2024 Turner exhibition. Michelle works out in the landscape on collaborative projects at the intersection of art and environment. Her paintings are held in many public collections and have received notable shortlistings and awards.
About your HostsOlive, Charlie and Maggy will be your hosts for the week, ensuring an unforgettable experience from start to finish. You will be hosted in Maggy's home and absorb a magical mélange of authentic French and Irish hospitality. Chef Maggy will serve up the finest of French cuisine using local products and complemented by wonderful local wines and spirits. To feed your creativity, there will be walks through the vines, along the local rivers, trips to local sights but also ample time for rest and relaxation.
About the VenueThe warm and welcoming home of chef Maggy Paul-Martinet will capture your heart and fuel your creativity. Nestled amongst the vineyards of the Grande Champagne Cognac region, Maggy's 18th-century property is a former Cognac distillery. Its beautifully renovated rooms offer comfort and tranquillity, while the grounds include gardens and a large swimming pool. Surrounding the the property is a vast expanse of rolling vines and just 10 minutes away the beautiful and busy little town of Châteauneuf-sur-Charente.
Day 1: Arrival and Introductions
- Arrival at Bordeaux airport or Angouleme train station* where you’ll be welcomed by your hosts Olive & Charlie
- Complimentary transfer to Maggy’s home which will be your home for the coming days.
- Settle into your comfortable accommodation.
- Ease in to the residency with a 1-2-1 session with Michelle on your individual art experience and needs.
- Enjoy a welcome dinner, get to know your fellow guests and discuss the exciting days ahead.
Day 2: Art amongst the Vines
- Breakfast will be served at 8.30 am…
- …followed by an introduction to materials, techniques and approaches to drawing and painting amongst the vines.
- From 9.30am to 12.30pm explore your art amongst the beautiful vineyards surrounding Maggy’s.
- A leisurely lunch will be served from 12.30 – 1.30 pm.
- In the afternoon, ease back into your practice, absorbing and reflecting the beauty all around.
- The afternoon closes with a presentation & lively conversation on artists, past and present who worked in the landscape.
- Dinner will be served at 7.30 pm
Day 3: Painting by Water
- Breakfast will be served at 8.30 am.
- The discussion on materials, techniques and approaches to drawing and painting riverside will open the day.
- And then settle along the banks of the beautiful Charente river for more plein air painting.
- Enjoy a delicious French pique-nique served by the water from 12.30 – 1.30 pm
- And an afternoon of painting inspired by the changed and changing landscapes.
- The conversation on diverse artists, past and present who worked in the landscape will continue and close the day.
- Dinner will be served from 8 pm.
Day 4: Sharing your Art and Farewell
- Begin your final day with a reflection together and a walk amongst the vines.
- You will have a 1-2-1 session with Michelle to review and discuss how to develop your own art practice into the future.
- A leisurely brunch will be served from 10.30 am.
- This will be followed by a final sharing of your art and a closing session.
- We will depart Maggy’s in good time to return you to Bordeaux airport or Angoulême train station for your journey home.
Note: This itinerary is subject to change but only for the better. We can’t wait to welcome you to this special experience!
*See ‘Travel Arrangements’ below
Paintings © Michelle Boyle